How Can I Get Faster Download Times?
There are many reasons that you might want to up your internet speed, and many ways to get better speeds on your
computer. Perhaps you want to participate in online gaming on your Xbox 360, or several members of your household
browse the internet simultaneously. Downloading CDs or streaming movies is definitely less stressful when you have
a fast connection, like you get with T1 internet services. Dial-up just
won't cut it in corporate and business environments, with many users accessing the internet at once.
The following steps can help to speed up your internet connection, but some steps might be more helpful than
others, depending on your provider or network set up.
1. Subscribe to a more powerful plan with your internet service. For instance, most cable providers offer multiple
tiers. If you're at the highest tier, you might find a better deal with a different ISP.
Although there is overlap between DSL and cable internet, for example, you can ultimately achieve faster downloads
with cable providers. For more demanding service needs, consider a provider of T1 services.
2. Avoid doing multiple demanding activities, like downloading video and gaming online, simultaneously. Prioritize
these activities so that the most important downloads or uploads finish first. You can also allow things to
download in the background, while you are busy with activities that do not use as much bandwidth.
3. Upgrade your wireless router, if you use one. Consider a more expensive option that is capable of higher
bandwidth. Multiple users may experience more lag when using a 150 Mbps wireless router than one that is capable of
transmitting up to 300 Mbps. Similarly, if your router uses older B or G standards, you may want to upgrade your
router to one that uses wireless N, which is faster.
4. Upgrade your computer's wireless adapter to be compatible with faster networking standards. Replacing the
networking card might be right up your ally. If not, you can purchase USB adapters that simply plug and play to
give you faster Internet and networking abilities.
5. Download a program that enables you to quickly -- and safely -- edit DNS or TCP/IP settings for faster Web
browsing. Programs such as Namebench or DNS Benchmark help to determine the DNS settings that will give you the
best speeds. SpeedGuide.net's TCP Optimizer can also help you to improve download times, even if you aren't
6. Switch browsers. If Firefox or IE aren't working for you, try Opera or Google's Chrome, instead.